It was my parents’ 28th anniversary yesterday. I sometimes wonder how two people, who are completely different from each other, can be together since so long. I remember telling them once that if I was in their place I would have either killed the other person or killed myself (I was kidding, obviously). Just proves that opposites do attract.
Now I had an excuse to bake a cake. I was first thinking of baking a black forest cake but then its strawberry season. Instead of using cherries for the filling, I used strawberries and unlike a black forest which is frosted with whipped cream, I frosted my cake with a thick, dark chocolate ganache.
The flavours worked really well together. The sweet yet tangy strawberries cut through all that chocolate. The only issue I had was that I couldn’t make it look pretty enough. The ganache needed to be quite thick to fill the gaps between the layers on the side. I didn’t get a very clean finish, although it tasted very, very good.
This chocolate cake is very moist, rich and light. The cake is a little fragile and I don’t own a cake leveler so I baked the cake batter in 3 pans to get 3 layers.
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Adapted from I am baker (I made some changes, which worked for me)
- all-purpose flour – 1 3/4 cups
- sugar – 2 cups
- cocoa powder – 3/4 cups
- baking powder – 2 tsp
- baking soda – 1 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- buttermilk – 1 cup
- unsalted butter, melted – 1/2 cup
- eggs – 3
- vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- freshly brewed coffee – 1 cup
- Sift all the dry Ingredients together- flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl – buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and coffee.
- Using the whisk attachment on a slow speed add the wet ingredients slowly into the dry ingredients, till well combined. Do not over mix.
- Mix with a spatula to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom.
- Pour in well oiled and parchment lined cake pans and bake till an inserted skewer comes out clean. The time will depend on the size of pans used but usually takes 35 -40 minutes. I baked it in four pans so it took about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down to room temperature before taking out of the cake pan.
Cake Filling and Ganache Recipe
- Strawberries- 200 gm, sliced
- Whipping cream (frozen)-140 gm
- Castor Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Dark chocolate- 200 gm
- Single cream -200 gm
- Sugar syrup – 50 ml (50 ml water boiled with 25 gm sugar, till completely dissolved)
- Dark rum – 1 tsp
- Add 1 tsp dark rum to sugar syrup.
- Add the castor sugar to strawberry slices just prior to assembly.
- Whip the whipping cream. (The whipping cream was already sweetened)
- For Ganache: On a double boiler melt the chocolate. Take it off the heat and add the single cream to it. Mix thoroughly with a spatula to form a smooth ganache.
- On a cardboard or any base, place one layer of chocolate cake and brush with sugar syrup.
- Put a layer of whipped cream on the cake. Add the sliced strawberries on top of the whipped cream in an even layer.
- Place another cake layer on top of it and repeat step 2.
- Place the 3rd layer. Cover the whole cake with ganache on the sides and top.
- Decorate with cream or chocolate garnishes. I whipped some cream with strawberry syrup and piped the whipped cream on top of the cake.